Skip to content
Today, It’s our National Sports Day!! Celebrating the birth anniversary of the legendary Major Dhyan Chand. The man with the GOLDEN hockey stick!!
NATIONAL SPORTS DAY
- National Sports Day in India is celebrated yearly on 29th of August, to commemorate birth date of Dhyan Chand.
- Dhyan Chand is a legend in hockey not only for India but also for the world.
- National sports day 2018 is celebrated on August 29th 2018.
- On this day India celebrates the spirit of the sportsmanship and to honor sportsmen who have took India to new heights in internationally sports competition.
- Many schools celebrated it as school sports day with various competitions and activities like national sports day speech essay and more.
Major Dhyan Chand Legacy:
- Dhyan Chand was born on 29th August 1905 in Allahabad.
- Dhyan Chand’s father was in British army.
- Dhyan chand also joined the Indian army at the age of 16 and then started playing hockey.
- Dhyan chand was nicknamed as ‘A Magician’ or ‘A Wizard’ for his incredible skill in ball control.
- Dhyan Chand was a three time gold medal winner in Olympics.
- He was a great contributor for the golden era of Indian Men’s hockey from 1928 to 1964, where India won 7 gold medals in 8 Olympics.
- He became the captain of Indian hockey team in 1934 and won many matches in his leadership. In his career, he has scored over 400 goals.